August 17, 2021
Zane is Consultant in our Edinburgh Team specialising in Software Development and Infrastructure. She joined McGregor Boyall in July 2016 and is currently working part time following her return from Maternity leave in 2021.
1. How did you get into recruitment?
I was looking for a long-term career that I could get into after I have been working in Direct Sales industry. Recruitment seemed like a good option to develop a diverse career.
2. What advice would you give to someone just getting into recruitment?
Work hard and don’t give up after a bad day. All the bad days is just a phase an it will pass.
3. What has been your career highlight to date?
My career highlight is the building of a strong connection and trustworthy relationships with my colleagues. We need that support from our peers on days when going gets tough. We are all very close in our office and I am looking forward to seeing my colleagues every day.
4. What has been the biggest career challenge you have faced and how did you overcome it?
Biggest challenge is to keep myself motivated on the days when nothing is going as planned. Our team is very supportive, and I always turn for advice to my colleagues.
5. What do you love about recruitment?
I love working in recruitment because it is everchanging- new candidates, new clients, new technologies and new trends to learn about. I don’t feel stuck as I always have something new to learn.
6. What do you think are the key attributes needed to be successful in recruitment?
Key attributes to be successful in recruitment are resilience and a good sense of humour.
7. What keeps you motivated?
My commission sheet keeps me motivated mostly, but also my colleagues.
8. If you weren’t a Recruiter, what would you be?
I would be a doctor. I love anatomy and speaking with people.
9. Which famous person would you most like to have lunch with and why?
JK Rowling. I admire how much she has achieved and how humane she is despite all the fame and money she has made for herself.
10. Why McGregor Boyall?
McGregor Boyall is reputable company with strong presence in the local market. I also love the fact that Laurie, the CEO, is still very engaged with the business, and his approach is very relaxed and open minded (I hope it is because he truly trusts the people he has hired!).