August 17, 2021
Jay joined McGregor Boyall’s Singapore Team in August 2019 and is a Principal Consultant specialising in Technology.
1. How did you get into recruitment?
A friend had recommended me to his company and there was no looking back from that day.
2. What advice would you give to someone just getting into recruitment?
Do not take any work-related matters personally.
3. What has been your career highlight to date?
Being able to close the initial roles to get into banks like Barclays, DBS, SCB and few more.
4. What has been the biggest career challenge you have faced and how did you overcome it?
Working on the contract roles when I first moved to Singapore was quite challenging. I soon realised networking/referral is the best way to handle the contract desk.
5. What do you love about recruitment?
No day is the same in recruitment and dealing with so many different people, makes it even more interesting.
6. What do you think are the key attributes needed to be successful in recruitment?
Patience, strong listening skills and providing a consultative approach.
7. What keeps you motivated?
The challenge of closing any niche role is itself a motivation, and money of course.
8. If you weren’t a Recruiter, what would you be?
I would have loved to be a Chess Player
9. Which famous person would you most like to have lunch with and why?
It has to be Rafael Nadal. I find him humble and would be good to learn some backhand tricks from the best.
10. Why McGregor Boyall?
Laurie, the Group CEO and Jon who was running the Singapore Operations. The day I met them both, the decision was made to join McGregor Boyall if I got the opportunity.